Saturday, March 6, 2010

Taking on the Impossible!

Alright guys. Mission Impossible has officially started! And I get the feeling that its going to be a VERY long ride! But hopefully you will all be here to laugh, and cry with me!

This week at our Gluten Intolerance Group meeting, as I sat around and talked to the other members I realized how much I love to cook. And while I am only LEARNING how to cook gluten free, I actually want to do much more than just that. I want to make my own Gluten Free cookbook!

It hit me lying in bed that night. And I couldn't sleep a wink. I kept thinking about some of the conversations we had that night. The one that stuck out in my mind the most was how EVERYONE missed pizza! It was UNANIMOUS! We talked about all the frozen pizza's out there, recipe's, and pizza crust mixes, and no matter how you sliced it, it still wasn't the same. I really felt myself identifying with them.

My absolute favorite food on the planet, besides cheesecake, is pizza! I could eat pizza every day of my life and never tire of it! Seriously. Everyone in the group said that was what they missed the most. I, like everyone else, have tried every kind of gluten free frozen pizza on the market. Some, well...they're just not edible. Some can be tolerated, and some are simply ok. But I've never found a pizza, or crust, that I genuinely liked. That seemed to be something we ALL had in common!

As we discussed how much we missed how good a real pizza tastes, I kept thinking how amazing it would be if someone would make a pizza crust recipe that was easy, simple, quick, and most of all delicious! And as I lay there in bed thinking, it hit me, why not me???

So today I started Mission Impossible. Working on creating a gluten free pizza crust recipe, from scratch! This is my first crack at creating a recipe for the cookbook I am hoping to make. And it is also quite possibly the last. I think I may have undertaken the impossible here. But talking to everyone that night, created a drive in me to come up with the perfect recipe! So here I am trying!

I immediately knew what kind of crust I wanted to make. And by the time I got ready for work the next morning I already knew all of the ingredients I wanted to use. So today I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. I had high hopes in my baking abilities. But, gluten free cooking is very foreign to me, and quite like a science experiment. Have I ever mentioned that I was terrible at science?

Anyhow, things didn't go quite as smoothly as I had hoped. But I did manage to make something that sort of resembles a pizza. It's baking in the oven as I type this, and it smells heavenly! Now what it tastes like is a whole other matter! I am saying little silent prayers that it isn't completely disgusting! I'm really nervous about how its going to turn out. But I am as stubborn as they come, and no matter how awful it may turn out, I am determined to keep trying until I get it right!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment