Monday, September 30, 2013

I'm Back! WIth Gluten Free Egg Muffins!

Wow! I can't believe how long it's been since I've blogged about gluten free foods. Trust me, I've eaten plenty! I guess my YA Book Blog just sort of took over. But I plan on getting both running regularly ASAP!

For about 3 years now, due to my health, I've been working, very , very part time. But recently I took on a full time supervisor position at work. So far, I love my job, and I enjoy not having to stress about making ends meet or living on a 4 hr a week salary. Its such an amazing feeling to get my bills paid on time and still have money left to treat myself with.

Working full time, is still a challenge with all of my health problems. And it means I have to plan ahead and be deligent with my meals. Something I'm still working at. Our family is also down a car right now (mine!) and that means sometimes I am dropped off at work, for 8 hours while my family works 30 miles away. I have to make absolutely posative that I have gluten free meals and snacks with me, because I can't leave to grab food, and if I eat gluten and get sick , I can't leave until my ride comes back 8 hours later. Yikes!

The hardest meal for me, is breakfast! Which seems insane because it is acutally my favorite meal of the day! Not a day goes by that I don't eat a good breakfast. However, sharing vehicles means sometimes I leave the house an extra hour early to drop people off at work on my way. I don't always get enough sleep and hit the snooze button way too  many times. I am so guilty of hitting snooze too often and running out the door with no breakfast in my stomach, hair in a bun and no makeup. I often tell myself "I'l just pop into McDonalds and order a sausage bisquit but not eat the bisquit". Yeah...riiiight! After I stare at that thin piece of sausage, I think, NO WAY is that going to fill me up! So there I go, glutenizing myself againN! Then I arrive at work, drained and exhausted before the day has even begun! Then the stomach cramps set in and I spend the day running to the bathroom. *sigh* Why do I always do this to myself?

I've tried going to bed earlier, not hitting snooze. It doesn't work! The one thing that does, is planning and prepping my meals ahead. Especially breakfast! In the next few weeks I'll be sharing all kinds of breakfast recipes that are easy and quick to prep for work. Today I will be sharing Egg Muffins!

I love Egg Muffins because I can throw them together while I clean, do laundry, or whatever! They are so versitile and the possibilities are endless! You can also opt to go the traditional route and make a quiche, but I love these because they require NO crust, AND are grab and go friendly! If I wake up late I can pop one in the microwave for a minute, grab it and run out the door and munch on it in the car. These are a staple in my house!

You will need:
Muffin pan
8 eggs
Vegtables of choice
Meat of choice
Cheese of choice
Salt
Pepper
Seasonings of choice
PAM cooking spray


First things first, the pan! You can use any size muffin tin you want. I've used the LARGE muffin tin and loved it!!! I eat a BIG breakfast every day so the large muffin tin was perfect for me. Altho in this post, I opted for a standard size muffin tin. You'll grease this with PAM, and preheat the oven to 350.


Next, in a bowl, crack open 8 eggs. You can do more or less depending on how many Egg Muffin's you want to make. I wanted a pan full so I used 8 eggs.


Next, you'll beat the eggs with a fork or whisk.



Next, I like to get my meat going. You can use bacon, ham, sausage, or whatever you prefer. Or you can omit the meat all together! Here I sliced up 4 slices of bacon and set them to cook on the stove while I chopped the veggies for my Egg Muffins.



In this particular batch of Egg Muffins, I opted for fresh spinach coarsley chopped, cherry tomatoes halved, onion, and diced orange bell pepper. Throw whatever veggies you want, or have on hand right into the bowl with the eggs.


Next get your cheese ready. I am OBSESSED with Mexican Queso Fresco cheese right now. And I do mean OBSESSED! I put this on everything. I'm totally hooked! Why it took me so long to try it I'll never know, but I am a fan for life! Being that I LOVE this cheese, I broke up quite a bit of it to use in my Egg Muffins. Go with your own personal favorites, pick a cheese you love and use as much or little as you want. 



Dump the m eat and cheesees of your choice into the bowl with the eggs and veggies. You can totally opt for a triple cheese Egg Muffin or a Meat Lovers, it's all up to you!


Salt and pepper to taste, and throw any fresh or dried seasonings or herbs that your heart desires! I love to throw in fresh basil from my garden or my favorite blend of dried herbs, Herbs de Provance!


Give it all a good stir so all of the ingredients get evenly incorporated.


Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins. 


Place it in the pre-heated oven and bake at 350 for about 20 to 25 minutes. This will vary depending on your oven. You'll know they are ready to pull out when the eggs get puffy and are set!



When they are ready pull them out of the oven a let them cool for a few minutes.


Grab a spoon and pop them out of the muffin tins. if you sprayed your tin with PAM you should have no problems getting them out. Plate them, or put them in the fridge for easy grab and go breakfasts that you and your family can enjoy all week long!

I hope you enjoyed this quick and easy, grab and go gluten free breakfast tutorial! It's a staple in my house and I love it! You can eat this with a bisquit or a piece of toast, enjoy it on top of a gluten free english muffin. They are amazing alone or topped with avocado and a dollop of sour cream! The possibilites and combinations are endless. I love how portable these are, and they are easy to grab and run out the door with!

Stay tuned for more quick gluten free breakfast ideas and recipes to come. As well as reviews of new products hitting the gluten free market!



No comments:

Post a Comment